View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #147
KTO

Alright I feel like adding my two cents, most of which will be shot down in a second. I'm also returning to the "compromise" idea about 100 posts back.

1) How about a weekend speed limit? Isn't that statistically when the most accidents/Cap'n Bonehead situations occur? I've been on the lake twice on a weekend this summer and both times we ran into people who can't follow 150' rules (Some apparently can't even measure 20', it seems). The lake is just too crowded on the weekend, unfortunately.

2) My numbers would be 60/30. Have you ever been on a jetski? They are meant to go fast and are pretty easy to control if you know what you are doing. Jetski is my boat of choice, I've been boating on the lake since I was 2, and knew the lake and the rules even before I took the course. I'm still a smarter driver than many older adults who took the course, why punish the responsible? I agree, the lake is pretty small overall and incredible speeds can be unsafe, but 45 is a bit LOW!

3) A costly idea, so this will never work, but getting more marine patrol on the lake to get people for the original rules that STILL aren't followed. It's a GREAT idea to instate new rules when the old ones don't work. I guess it's all about who gets caught and who doesn't.

4) Here's a compromise. It's the best one actually. The worst part is I'm wasting my time writing it: Why can't we just be responsible boaters? Show a little respect and use a little common sense! Read the rules, understand the rules. Just because you passed a 100 question multiple choice test means nothing unless you can prove this knowledge on the lake, assuming you didn't cheat on that online exam. A little responsibility goes a long way and if Cap'n Boneheads didn't exist, would we even be HAVING a discussion about speed limits? REMEMBER: You don't own the lake, you have to share it with 85,000 +/- other boaters. If sharing is too tough for you, TOUGH!