View Single Post
Old 06-21-2021, 05:11 AM   #11
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
So what do you guys think is up with the bad driving, just like the first snow its still early in the season and these folks need to get their act together, or are these new boaters who just need more time in the seat, or is it the new I dont care about anyone else as long as I have the fun I want mentality that seems to be taking over the country???

I definitely see the me first attitude when waiting for dock space at town docks. No etiquette, no manners, just punch through the crowd and too bad for anyone else. It creates a very dog-eat-dog hostile environment.

Its gotten to the point where I will not go out on the water on a Saturday during July and August. Its just too much work to avoid problems and not fun worrying about the other guy all day or dealing with bad attitudes and far too aggressive operators. Too many Saturday boaters on Winnipesaukee act like they are on an episode of Miami Vice, racing down the inter-coastal toward the open ocean trying to look good for the camera.

Maybe mine is a unique experience/observation,,,
Like most things, I think it's a combination of all of it. There's absolutely an "all about me" attitude for many these days (just drive any major highway for a stretch and watch how people drive), there's a "newness" to the season (which even I was guilty of coming out of MVM all gangly-legged-awkward like a newborn giraffe), and there's a ton of new boaters.

The hard part for me has always been trying to decipher who's new and who should know better. It probably shouldn't matter, but it's the difference between understanding and stepping up to help and exasperation at stupidity/arrogance/carelessness.

I'm getting to be more active and vocal, though, in terms of giving and asking for help. It's so often made the difference in connected situations. For example, at W. Alton sandbar yesterday, instead of trying to loosen the bow anchor to retrieve the stern, yada yada yada, I just asked the bro group already in the water to pull them for me and guide us out. They kindly obliged, and we had a nice group discussion as they guided us out.

Of course, it's not always possible to have a conversation—especially when someone blows through within feet in The Graveyard—but I'm an optimist!

Safe boating, friends!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post: