Thread: Big Logs
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #10
Keel Holler

I’m on Lockes, and the giant trees are several hemlocks, a black Cherry, 2 oaks, a maple, and a white pine. There’s a bunch of smaller ones that are mostly pine.

Thanks everyone for helping me think it through. For the logs, I guess it makes sense to either split & keep, or if splitting isn’t feasible, get them hauled. I read somewhere that wood won’t season well enough if it’s not split- anyone know if that’s true? If the logs were split, I could then carry them somewhere to store and have a lifetime firewood supply. And for my descendants! I wasn’t really thinking about them, I don’t know if I’ll have any… but I’ll be optimistic!

I can handle a chain saw for a short time, and that log jack looks like it would solve the problem of getting the log into position to cut. And I can check out the drill splitter, which looks promising. But even with a chainsaw or drill splitter and log jack, it still would be a big stretch for me physically. I could do a corner of a pile that way, and at least clear the route from my dock, which would be a huge improvement. But there’s just so much, I don’t think I could split it in my lifetime, if I gave it all I’ve got. So, does anyone know where I could look for someone who I could hire to split it for me? I guess that would be ideal.

Otherwise, I can call around to barge companies to see if anyone can haul it. I knew they could transport, but hadn’t considered they might load and dispose.

For the brush, you just waded in with a chain saw? I’m not sure I could do that, the big pile is over 10’ tall. Unfortunately it occupies the biggest clearing and the obvious place to burn. But there is a clearing at the back of the property too that I could use. So I could drag branches there in batches. Some of the “brush” is 4-6” limbs and the pile will be difficult to dismantle. I could’ve done it 20 years ago, but now it would be tough. Maybe I’ll try attacking one of the smaller piles with the chainsaw first. Though, if I could hire someone to split the wood, maybe they could carve up my brush piles, too. Or I could just have those hauled.

The whole thing makes me glad I live in the modern age and don’t have to split wood to survive! Thanks for your help everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Keel Holler is offline   Reply With Quote