View Single Post
Old 04-17-2021, 03:44 AM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Last summer, I hooked up with a bunch of jetski owners last year. A few had lifts, a few had floating platforms, a few just tied up to docks, and a few trailered.

If I had a dock and could choose any option, it would probably be a floating platform. Though it's rare, skis can develop leaks and sink. Add to that the extra hull cleaning and need for bumper/wave protection (that never really works in even moderately rough areas) and I'd not want to tie up long-term.

A lift would be my second choice, especially if you could use the extra dock area that would be saved, but you need to be in the water to operate a lift, making early and late-season use a bit less convenient, and, depending on the water quality on the shore, could be messy. Other benefits of a lift are (almost) complete removal from the water for protection and cleanliness.

The friends who have floating platforms just walk out in their gear, pull the cover, get on, back off and zoom away. No need to get in the water, clean their feet off, untie or crank down, etc.

I don't know about winterization, however, which might make the final decision were I to be in a position to choose. If the floating platform is more of a pain to pull out than a lift, I'd probably lean towards the latter. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that the riders I've met with floating platforms probably don't do their own work but have someone pull their docks.

Godspeed!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote