Thread: pandemic
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2021, 09:38 AM   #29
winterh

My in laws “didn’t care” either. Everyone got COVID. One was in the hospital for weeks with blood clots in his legs. He did recover. Another recovered fine. Another is on a ventilator right now and been on it for a week. If she makes it, it will be months of recovery. She is in her 50’s.

If people want to take their own risk that’s fine. It’s not like leaving your helmet off on a motor cycle. But by taking your own risk, you risks others. It’s basically spitting in the face of your fellow man by not doing what is in your power. As feeble and annoying a mask may feel, it’s not asking much. That’s what gets under my skin. It’s says they don’t give a crap about anyone but themselves. We know there are people like that. But sad to see so many.

I’ll give a bunch of them the benefit of doubt that they have been miss informed to help convince myself there aren’t so many selfish people.

It’s pretty damn clear lock downs and masks save life’s. You’d have to be living under a rock to think otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever taken an economics class? Do you understand the concept of tradeoffs? To quote the great Thomas Sowell "There are no solutions, only tradeoffs". You can throw out factually incomplete anecdotal stories about this person or that but the stats tell the story. Average age of death is over 80 years old. A terrible thing when its your grandma but life goes on. Average life expectancy is not even that old. 99 % survival rate for those who are not grossly obese or very old. As the Lt governor of Texas said early in the crisis " I don't want to die of covid but I want to leave a country for my grand kids". Maybe instead of closing gyms we should have told people to get off their ass and get themselves in better shape because healthy people beat the virus. If you want to hold people who think there has been a major over reaction responsible for the death of people who are very close to the end anyway than I can certainly hold you responsible for the increase in suicides and mental illness the lock down has caused. Perhaps you would look at it differently if this insanity was bankrupting your future or causing loved ones to commit suicide or battle mental illness. Thats not happening to me personally but I do recognize that its not as simple as locking down forever and waiting for my government handout.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to winterh For This Useful Post: