Thread: Vaccinations
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2021, 10:09 PM   #437
gillygirl

Default Vaccinations

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Understood--I checked this before I sent my last message. But since the church has been clear that vaccines are allowed, I do not understand how a Christian Scientist can say their religion prohibits vaccines. Wouldn't that be similar to a Catholic asserting they cannot eat meat on Friday, or a Jewish person asserting they are vegetarian?

Even if we call Christian Scientists a "maybe", it's a VERY short list of people that practice a faith that prohibits vaccines. I cannot think of one.
But the government and employers don’t mandate what Catholics or Jews eat. Not really a good analogy. From what I’ve read, the Christian Science hierarchy would like to say no, but realize their members are a part of a larger society and therefore won’t enforce a no vaccine ordinance. That doesn’t mean a specific member can’t say they are strict adherents to the doctrine and so claim religious exemption.

I think you’re defining religion too tightly. There was a court case in 2012 in Ohio where a district court decided veganism, in some cases, constitutes a religious belief. Non-theistic moral codes can apply as well.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by gillygirl; 07-28-2021 at 10:51 PM.