View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #1
Cal-to-NH

Default Challenge of an over-assessed property

Hi folks:

So I will try to make a long story short. A year ago I got a love note on my door that the town was re-assessing my part of town and to call them for a property evaluation. So I called them and the assessor came in with a tape measure and a mission! i found out later that you are in no way obligated to let them in, and it's a shame that the "Demand" looking letter they leave does not inform you of your true rights. Anyway, lesson number 1 is that you don't need to let them in (who knows, maybe I am the only person on earth who didn't know!).

Be that as it may, given my error on Lesson number 1 and there being nothing to do about it, I read on the town site the steps needed to challenge an over-assessment. IT ways to call the Assessor and get information on the "how". I got the assessor and basically got three answers - (1) The answer that is so evasive that it doesn't answer your question at all, (2) the answer that is a half-answer, with caveats that are in what you read but not what is said, and (3) answers to a question, but not the question you asked.

So at this time I am thinking my only option is to look into law firms that will do this for you. I already have 7 "comparable" homes that convince me that my house is over-assessed, but the process of a challenge is very regimented with a lot of requirements and procedural trip-ups, and without help from the Assessor that is going to be "on the other side" of the argument, I am clearly not getting enough info to feel comfortable doing this myself. I know they take a proceed of the benefit they get - but I think it's just for the first year savings, and I am willing to pay this to get it done the first time and get it done right.

So now, does anyone have the name of a firm or "single-shingle" lawyer that does this work????

And before you ask, I am not interested in identification of the town, the assessor, etc... I don't want to bad-mouth anyone, I just want to get a fair-value assessment on my home so I can afford to say here!!!!!
Cal-to-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal-to-NH For This Useful Post: