View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 08:14 AM   #71
Cal-to-NH

Default Thanks!

See, it's stuff like this that can get us to the Services we need and deserve! For what I call SMART MONEY! Observations like yours need to be taken into account!

I still wonder why every parent says to me that it has to be near the school for the kids when the former Rec director - three times in a row (twice at Town Meeting) - began her discussion of a Rec / Community center by saying "You would not build this center for just the kids alone". Her reason was that both schools have gyms, they more than serve the indoor needs of our kids, and the two biggest Rec sign-ups for kids is Soccer and Softball - both outside programs. However there is no rec area for the town residents outside of students. Also she discussed the Meredith center, still relatively new - with indoor walking track, etc.. where the kids just won't have an interest.

I think sometimes we lose track of the fact that we only graduate an average of 35 kids a year from our High School. Two gyms for our kids (and I hear they are vacant a lot) seems to be a good service for our valuable children.

In addition, if you look at the Lions club site, meals-on-wheels, the Woman's club, Quilting club and Men's fellowship meetings, it makes me wonder why it's so important to have all of those at the centralized "one-site" scenario (at additional cost). Let's face it, the Lions club activities are for Blue-hair older folk like me. Is it imperative to have everything at one site? I honestly don't think so. The lions club at $1.6 Million - giving it a lifetime of 30 years and making it American For Disability compliant, and then a Rec/Community Center for $3.6 Million - why is that the end of the world awful?

If I could believe that somehow having everything in one is a must, and having everything in town center is a must, I would be the first to "pony-up" with the extra cash. Yankee conservatism aside - I believe that most of us will treat this like it was out of our own checkbook. Services for our town are important! But we should spend the money smartly.....
Cal-to-NH is offline   Reply With Quote