View Single Post
Old 04-29-2020, 01:34 PM   #15
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Do you know for sure that the red line would not have replicated the green line regardless of what we did? Of course not!

Answer me this - why haven’t all the extraordinary measures we have taken protected our most vulnerable victims in nursing/retirement facilities? We shut down our economy, social distanced, quarantined, used masks, gloves, etc., yet these efforts have failed. Statistically it is not young (under 65), healthy people who are dying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is no clear, black and white answer to the question you ask. I'm not looking to debate what should have/could have been done differently. I will say that the draconian measure taken have most likely prevented more deaths from occurring in nursing homes/retirement communities. What seems clear to me is that once the virus is able to take hold in a populated place, it spreads very quickly, much quicker than a normal flu virus. No nursing home/retirement community can be completely sealed off as staff are coming and going. My take is that the widespread closures and social distancing efforts have helped minimize staff and employees from getting the disease and spreading it in nursing homes. The young, healthy people are the carriers. I'm not trying to answer your bigger question "was it worth it?". Looking at how quickly the virus spreads in close knit communities like nursing homes and retirement communities, I think it is safe to assume the virus would have spread quickly if cities and mass transportation had not made changes. Again, was it worth it? Some say yes, some no.