Thread: Face Masks
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2020, 03:15 PM   #169
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
As I'm sure you know (because frankly you seem a bit obsessed)--the Mass cases were early, driven by pre-isolation exposures, as I said in my original post. So I wish you wouldn't publish stuff that twists what I wrote.

Also, I'm pretty sure that you and almost everyone else on this Board knows that Mass has made huge progress against COVID-19 over the past couple of months, and that simultaneously Florida is getting absolutely crushed. We all saw just a day or two ago that the President was forced to cancel his convention in Floridas because the situation is so much worse now than when he moved it to Florida just a few weeks ago.

I think we'd all agree that the President was right to cancel--don't you think?
RE:"because frankly you seem a bit obsessed "

Well because frankly it is impacting me significantly, well mostly the restrictions, as I personally dont know anyone that has tested positive, fortunately. That said, I have personally suffered significant health problems but not because of being infected, but because of lack of exercise due to confinement, and the stress for listinging to the news way too much, and reading blogs like this, and the respiratory challenges I endure from wearing masks compounding old health problems.

Not to be a smart ass, but given my willingness to admit my obsession, is is safe to assume you also admit and consider yourself similarly "obsessed" as you also keep responding to this thread with just as much piss and vinegar as I do and several others? (Obsessed being your term, not mine, I simply use it for continuity, but only up to this point as it would not be my first choice, so this ends my use of the term in this post)

As for the impact of pre vs post isolation infection, I think the bigger concern is early vs late infection. The total number infected is of little concern to me, as I do not believe we have any (thats ANY!) ability to actually stop or beat viruses of this type and magnitude. We can slow them down to some degree, but I dont even think too much in reality, and just as soon as you let up on the restrictions, it will restart, so in my mind we are all only delaying the inevitable.

Not that thats a bad thing, it gives us time to learn how to treat the people infected, and that I believe should be the major strategy.

But at some point, restrictions will have to be lifted, and the infection will spread through the population (as it is in the south and west) I truly do not believe it will go away, it will lurk in isolated individuals, until such time as a larger group is exposed and it will just restart as if it were day one.

So for me, the total number of infected people is only marker or data point and not at all of the most concern. The number one value of concern is deaths, followed by people in ICU, and then those with long-term lingering effects.

Number of infected should not be our focus because you cannot stop it, but looking at the death rate per million population of NJ at 1784 vs FL at 269 and now you have an story of the medical industry learning how to manage a pandemic! Do we really care if FL has ~350,000 cases if most are asymptomatic? What should concern us most is the ~3400 people in ICU's and how best to treat them. So Bravo to the medical professional for turning this pandemic around and finding treatments that save lives. Thats real world winning against the virus!

If you FlyingScot truly believe we can stop and beat the virus and "win", I do not agree, but I am not going to belittle you or demean you for that opinion. I simply do not share your perspective.

As someone is following the rules as much as possible/reasonable, I sit here with my hair down to me shoulders, not having had a hair cut since February, with trusty albuterol inhaler at hand right alongside the mask that is causing me to need it, and a bottle of hand sanitizer in each of my cars and in the boat, and not believing any of it has or will have a significant impact on the overall outcome. I am simply drinking the KoolAid and not liking it, but being a dutiful citizen.

Truly hoping to end on a non-hostile note, even if we dont agree on some or all aspects of this matter.

I enjoy hearing and understanding others perspectives even when my opinion is in complete conflict.

I truly detest it when we devolve in these discussions to hostile responses and personal attacks.

ATB