Thread: Face Masks
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2020, 04:38 PM   #126
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
I suspect the value of masks in preventing the spread of disease through airborne droplets has been well proven; otherwise, healthcare workers, dentists, etc. would not be wearing them. Plus, it's just common sense that if you cover your face, you're not exhaling germs as readily as if you were not wearing a mask. (Which is why we were all taught as children to cover our mouths when we coughed, sneezed, etc.) It's unfortunate that vulnerable people cannot just protect themselves. They must rely on other people to cover their faces. Therefore, we all wear masks in public and we're all protected. Easy and sensible. Hopefully this pandemic will not last forever, and everyone should do their part. Good citizenship and all that.
My mother inlaw was a 2 time cancer survivor who rabidly read the scientific studies, the medication warnings for everything she was told to take, she discussed and debated her treatment in great detail with her doctors and often did not follow their recommendations, and with all her problems lived well into her 80's by not being a sheep.

I hope to be that good some day.

As for cloth face masks being well proven as protection against infectious disease, not so fast says I.

I do not dispute that there is some potential value, but show me the actual scientific data. Its a simple request. But one no one seems to be sharing.

And why not?

Easy and sensible, again I say not so fast. I have some respiratory challenges that make it very difficult to wear a mask for very long, I do it were I need to, and I respect others preferences to have me wear a mask near them, but I do so at my discomfort and actual medical impact. And it totally wears me out having to breath through one.

So I respectfully say not always easy and sensible, and thats not even going into the concerns raised about breathing hours through a wet piece of cloth they contains what your body was designed to expel.

Again, happy to read and have a meaningful and adult no drama added discussion about any standard medical study about wearing home made cloth face masks for many hours and the benefits and impacts of such, just point me to it.