Thread: Face Masks
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #118
Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Its interesting to see how divisive this matter is, and at such a personal level.

It should be more clear, but it appears to me the that it has been manipulated by the media, politicians, pundits, so called experts, media and anyone who wants camera time and will take a stand on one side or the other.

Lacking are any normal scientific and medical industry standard proof of anything being stated on either side of this debate. (generally cited are double-blind formal studies, not random data)

Lacking is credibility from any of the people making statements, only hearsay, innuendo, anecdotal evidence - not factual evidence, sincerity - only overly dramatic pleas to believe their belief(s)

Again I will say this is all very troubling, and not productive, and not effective except to divide and agitate the masses.

And I'm sorry, but any statements that NY, MA or anyone else got it right, are doing what needs to be done, are on the right side of the debate, etc are speculative and generally unfounded. Why are they better, because their numbers are in decline and the worst appears behind them. Maybe thats just because most of the people in those states have been exposed and the virus has run its course through the majority of the population there. Thats just as scientific as any blind belief that social distancing, masks, or anything else being done is working.

Without factual results from scientific studies we are still shooting in the dark, and no one can actually tell you whats going on.

So do face masks work or not, are they better than nothing, is it true they cant hurt,,, Anyone who says they have the answer is either misinformed, or uninformed, there is no actual industry standard scientific data to support any of what is being said. Its just as much a mess today as it was so many months ago.

Its shocking how much a mess this still is.

I suspect the value of masks in preventing the spread of disease through airborne droplets has been well proven; otherwise, healthcare workers, dentists, etc. would not be wearing them. Plus, it's just common sense that if you cover your face, you're not exhaling germs as readily as if you were not wearing a mask. (Which is why we were all taught as children to cover our mouths when we coughed, sneezed, etc.) It's unfortunate that vulnerable people cannot just protect themselves. They must rely on other people to cover their faces. Therefore, we all wear masks in public and we're all protected. Easy and sensible. Hopefully this pandemic will not last forever, and everyone should do their part. Good citizenship and all that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pam For This Useful Post: