View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #65
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Hi! Bought a boat this weekend, so I'll close this thread with the result and reasoning for anyone who might read this going forward: Ended up with a 2013 21' Crest with 70HP Suzuki. Took two pontoons out for test drives--discovered that marinas (and some private sellers) are expecting customers to do this--and looked at a couple deck boards and bowriders. Didn't like the size of bowrider and couldn't seem to get past what most people said (and my wife's experience with her friend's deck boat) about them being "slappy" in less than ideal conditions, especially after two nice pontoon test rides. The Crest was the right price to get us into boating, has nice room and a gentle ride, and has enough get up and go for my young family. And, since the price was right, we'll have equity should we decide we need something different as the kids grow.

Finally, the deal made us comfortable: price included winter storage, valet service for the rest of the season, free install of a Garmin GPS I bought, and a nice set of PFDs (not the cheesy orange ones).

Thanks for your help, all. And now to start a thread about where to go!