View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #12
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

1st don't ever be bashful about asking questions, everyone here loves this lakes and wants to see people enjoy it.

As for boat size 18' to 20' boat regardless of type is going to get you quite a bit of enjoyment on the lake. Some will argue that at that size it is just not big enough. Well that is where they are wrong, I myself have been on the lake for over 25 years, and have never owned a boat bigger then 18'.... There are certainly days where I will not go out, but then again on most of those days I wouldn't go out even if I had a 24' boat.

Now on to types of boats, for a first boat I would recommend going with a bow Rider or closed bow boat. I believe from a control and an ease to learn stand point the will be the easiest to learn with. Not to mention the fact that you can find them all over the place used. The next consideration is free board, not all 18' bow riders are equal. Some are deeper then others. Then you need to look at the width of the boats. Once again this is not standard, some boats are wider then others, giving the short boat, a better more stable feeling.

Talk with neighbors, friends, and people on this forum, go out for a few rides in others boats, or even take some test rides on potential boats from some of the dealers. You will notice differences as your try different makes and models. Eventually one will feel right.

My big advice is to take your time and don't rush your decision on what to buy.

Last, if your looking for someone to talk to, to get more information PM me, I am always glad to get new people involved in boating.