View Single Post
Old 09-23-2004, 11:54 AM   #88
Coastal Laker

Default Apples and Oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRSLA
The same rules should apply on the water that apply on the street.
Unfortunately LRSLA, your logic won't work in any legislative process you choose to champion. You don't have lines to follow on the water, street signs, or traffic lights. Spring a leak in your car and you're not necessarily going to be in peril. Spring a leak in your boat and you better hope for a quick rescue. We're talking apples and oranges here.

The speed topic will likely be debated for years after we are all gone. The problem is it's unenforceable on water. Radar must be in a fixed/stationary position to work (meaning on land). It doesn't work on a boat. Some people use miles-per-hour others knots. Some boats have a speedometer, others don't. Speedometers measure speed through water, not over land. Radar measures speed over land. There's too many variables to make a valid case on limiting speed.

I think most will agree the problems/violations on the water are mostly due to operator error, inattention, or a lack of knowledge. For that reason, I'd rather raise the bar on education. There's a lot that can be done... and yes, I have contacted a fellow boater in the state legislature with a few ideas that are a win win for the state administration and the boaters.

Stay tuned for more information.