View Single Post
Old 09-25-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
MeredithMan

Default InterLakes and CAVES

Public Service Announcement:

Make sure you pick up socks and other things that can sometimes be lying around the house if you have dogs who enjoy eating them.

Last Thursday, one of my Goldens barfed up her breakfast shortly after eating. Contained in the debris was some sort of fabric, which I assumed was a sock. (she has a history of stealing socks and ingesting them). She had the dry heaves a couple times more during the day and then also couldn't keep her supper down. On Friday morning, I made her just plain white rice, and that came up as well. She was moping around with the expression of, "Daddy, I don't feel very good". I called InterLakes and they were able to see her Friday afternoon.

Dr Bruce and the staff there were fantastic. Very compassionate and caring. Dr Bruce suspected something was caught in the abdomen and did an X-ray, which confirmed her suspicion. She said, "you need to get your dog to CAVES in Concord NOW...we've called ahead...they are expecting you"

Hustled down to CAVES, (Capital Area Veterinary Emergency Services). I had never heard of them before, but they are excellent. They confirmed Interlakes diagnosis and took my little golden girl in for surgery right away. The surgeon, (Dr Dave Diamond), called me later Friday night and said she was ok, but it was good that I did not wait any longer. A sock was stuck between her stomach and intestines, and the intestine was bunching up around the sock. He was able to pull it back into the stomach intact and remove it. The irony is that my big male Golden has eaten TV remotes, eyeglasses, socks, shoes, you name it...I always figured that he would be the one that might get something stuck in his guts, not my goody-two-shoes girl.

She was able to come home on Saturday and is now starting to perk back up, but it will definitely be a few weeks before she is running and jumping after lacrosse balls again.

I cannot say enough good things about the people at InterLakes and CAVES. They are thorough and very compassionate. And remember, pick up your socks!
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post: