View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #22
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Unfortunately true but it seems to me like there are more disrespectful people in the snowmobile community than any of the other winter / summer activities I am involved with. And before anyone starts piling up on me for making this comment, I am an AVID snowmobile enthusiasts who puts thousands of miles on my sled every year. I see what happens on and off the trails first hand...Maybe it's the large age group that snowmobiling attracts?...I don't know, but I do know that trailside drinking, littering, off trail antics, disrespect of people's property, unnecessary noise are all serious problems affecting this sport and it is not just a select few...

Dan
I am not sure that I agree with that. I think the boating community (yes I am one of them) can be just as bad.
The big difference is that when a snowmobiler is "bad", there is long-lasting evidence of that behavior. For example, when one rides off-trail. If a boat does not give right of way for example, there is no visual evidence except to the offended boat.
Another example is say trash on the trail. We are confident that it was left by a snowmobiler, but you don't know for sure it was left by a hiker or mountain biker. If you see trash floating in the lake, sure it looks bad for boaters. But you don't know if it was from someone in a canoe, or someone sitting on a dock, or if it blew into the lake from someones shore front property.

Overall, snowmobilers look worse because you can directly visually see what they have done wrong. The latest facebook video makes a lot of people look bad, including the snowmobiler as well as the skier. But who was operating illegally? Yes, it was the snowmobiler.