View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #12
Wolfeboro_Baja

Where exactly did I "leave out" Winni?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
This is very telling:

1) Among my eight boats owned last year, only two—maybe three—could have broken the night limit. Are we to ignore the night limit? And only approve of a return to unlimited speeds? :
Must be nice to afford EIGHT boats! I'm lucky to have one!

Did I say anything about ignoring the night-time limit? No.
Did I even mention daytime or nighttime speed limits? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
2) Of those eight boats, none are what I'd call "Loud". (As in GFBL).

3) For those "Non-Loud" boats, why not set a weight limit instead? Use a "base weight" of a small GFB/GFBL?

Use the weight of a DONZI "Classic", for example?

After all, it is the combined speed and weight that can dangerously affect those lesser, but "medium-sized" boats out there.

(And cottages!)
First, there's already a law to handle decibel limits of ALL boats. If the state would allow a switchable exhaust, I could be quieter on the lake and I would be MORE than happy to use it early in the morning or late at night; I stated the same thing in one of the old SL threads. And before anyone get's their panties in a bunch (like they did the last time I mentioned this), I am NOT suggesting removing OR raising the current decibel limits; the current decibel limits are fine where they are and can stay there.

Why not set a weight limit? Because then you're infringing on someone's right to have a larger cruiser on the lake. A lot of people, like myself, can't afford to own shorefront property on the lake, be it "mainland" or island property. It's not just the initial purchase; it's the cost to maintain, taxes, etc. that must be paid year after year. Boat ownership of a cabin cruiser of any size can be more affordable for some people. If they're reasonably mechanically inclined, they can do a lot of maintenance themselves thereby saving money. Plus, let's face it, registering a boat and paying a slip rental fee can sometimes be alot less than paying property taxes. I'm sure you property owners can attest to that.

Also, we know that most speed boats (not just the GF boats) with a planing hull make a smaller wake than a smaller boat moving at less than planing speed. I'd rather cross the wakes created by a dozen GF boats at speed than one or two wakes of large cruisers. I've seen pontoon boats moving slower than my boat making a much larger wake than my boat when my boat's on plane; pontoon boats don't get on plane at ANY speed. Unfortunately, some owners conveniently forget the facts of the relationship between planing hulls and speed; all they want to do is drive off or ban GF boats from the lake and then they'll get to work on doing the same to the larger cruisers.

Finally, try not to nit-pick my response; I know most of you understand the generalizations I'm trying to make. Most of these points were made and debated ad nauseum in the old SL threads; look 'em up. This isn't a perfect world, it's just a forum and I'm not a professional debater.