View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 06:05 AM   #65
jeffk

I get a chuckle over those that think a business can pay wages as demanded, no matter what they are.

In some areas, like around Winnipesaukee, there are simply not enough workers in the area to staff all the lower wage jobs for the summer months. Doubling wages might lure a few people into employment but not enough. The seasonal nature of the jobs is not attractive to those seeking a "living wage" but who plan to live longer than the tourist season.

Further, some jobs simply won't support such wages. If you walked up to Bailey's Bubble and found the cost of an ice cream cone at $20 because they had to pay crazy wages, would you buy one? Even higher paying jobs can be priced out of existence. Talk to auto workers who forced their wages so high that it pushed their jobs into automation and overseas.

The example of services for plumbing and electrical is also distorted. If the costs for those services is out of sight, I MUST pay for essential work but I will forego such services that are not essential. Unjustified labor costs drive away business.

Many people may hire people to come in to do house cleaning weekly, if the prices are reasonable. Raise wages excessively and the cost will preclude many people from using the service.

The point of all this is that there are limits on what can be paid for any job. Those limits are in constant flux. It's a component of our economic system. The people who understand this best and can respond best to changing local conditions are the business owners and employees IN THE AREA, not slow moving and obtuse state or federal governments.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post: