View Single Post
Old 05-03-2021, 06:00 PM   #35
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
So after you give the lawyer $1,800 you end up with $7.25 an hour?
I'm positive you know sarcasm when you read it - even though I didn't use a smiley face. My point in all this is that you can't fight city hall. While Boat's idea is innovative, it seems few business owners want to support a competitively higher wage regardless of how you end up paying it. Somehow there's a fear that they aren't going to survive if the minimum wage is raised. Yet here we are, because NH is uncompetitive with surrounding states, businesses are at risk of not surviving.

As someone pointed out above, few businesses are actually paying only $7.25/hour, yet the optics of them paying that courtesy of the 'minimum wage law compared to other states' is exasperating the problem with recruiting workers from those places. And therein lies the problem. During the summer you have many more jobs/hours, and a less-than-matching infiltration of temporary labor.

So, I don't see a widespread application of solutions like this unless they somehow bring in the laborers from outside NH that are finding more lucrative employment elsewhere.