View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
Kracken

The best way to eliminate harmful wakes is to either stay at headway speed or stay on plane. Starting and stopping along with plowing causes the largest wake.

There is no universal headway speed. Each hull design has its own maximum no wake speed. Size, shape and weight of the hull are the major factors that determine the maximum no wake speed. Some boats can go over 8 MPH without throwing a wake while others can’t go over 5 mph without throwing a wake. When a boater is in a NWZ he/she must understand the characteristics of their vessel and act accordingly.

The same can be said for minimum planing speed. Size, shape weight and power are the determining factors in planing. Some boats have no problem getting on plane at speeds less than 20 MPH, most do not. While they can be on plane at speeds under 25 they end up plowing to get on plane or exceed the speed limit to achieve it.

New Hampshire is not the only state with a night time speed limit (I know I am not supposed to talk about other states). But other states have laws that read 25 MPH max at night OR minimum planing speed.

So my question is simple. What do Winnipesaukee boaters and land owners want? A limit that causes erosion or just a limit?
The Following User Says Thank You to Kracken For This Useful Post: