View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #60
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
Is this true? Your 5000 pound boat is not safe unless you are going over 25? Is this really an argument you want to use for revoking a speed limit? Am I the only one on this forum who is dumbfounded by the logic that we should abolish our speed limit because some people want to ride around in two and a half ton boats that cannot be operated safely at speeds so "slow" as 25 MPH? Are you really telling us that we should feel safe out on the lake with boats that weigh 5000 pounds and cannot be operated safely at a speed below 25 MPH?
I suppose that headway speed for your boat is then 25 MPH and you should have no problem obeying the safe passage law at that speed. Have you even used that argument with the MP? "Officer, I need to go at least 26 for my boat to be safe out here. If I am only going 20 mph, I can't be responsible if I run over a few kayakers."
Imagine a trucker telling a State Trooper "Officer, this 10 ton rig cannot be driven safely at only 65mph, so I have to go faster. May I proceed?"
Oh my. We have some really twisted logic out there. And these are the same people who want to decide for themselves what speeds are prudent?

EL, As other have pointed out here you are loosing your logic......onlywinni, is not saying his boat isn't safe below 25 mph..... what he is indicating is that at 25 mph he is comfortably on plane, and feels he has good control of the boat with a quick nimble response that feels in control... as he back down from there the boats starts to back down off the plane and he gets into a region where the boat is bow high (reduced visibility) and probably sluggish to the response... until he backs far enough out of the throttle that the boat settles down in the water....

If you have any type of motor boating experience you understand this concept... appearently you don't.....there is a point with every speed boat, GFBL or just your ordinary run about, where the visibility is poor, your niether on plane or down in the water, and the boat is squirmish in its handling....For onlywinni this is the 20-25 mph range, for me it is around 15-16mph.... hull, load, prop selection, engine torque characteristics, and trim attitude all play a part in this....

In short I understand perfectly what onlywinni is getting at.... do I believe he could change the characteristics of how is boat handles, through prop selection, I sure do....
but his arguement is valid... your logic is aimed at a goal, and when you blurt out what comes to your mind to support that goal you loose your credibility.....

I have always believed that speed limits in certain area's might be need, but not for the whole lake.... but if I have to chose right now the people that make the most sense, are
Woodsy, onlywinni, OCD, and the host of others in opposition of the law.... while those like EL who support the legislation, seem to try and munipulate everything that is said to fit there agenda....

I will say it agian... this is a dam big lake, room for everyone......