Thread: Pontoon Boat?
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 07:51 AM   #45
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonguy View Post
So it was time to put the tritoon into window storage, but, when I tried to start it after a couple of months without using it, all the batteries were dead. The good news was that including the option of the trolling motor with three batteries and a charging unit allowed me to plug it into shore power at my dock and it was good to go the next day. My bowrider did not have that option, but then again the bowrider never went dead in the seven years that I had it. I am now wondering if I inadvertently left something on in the tritoon, or whether there is some defect in the wiring or other equipment. Have others had similar experiences?
Without knowing the details about your boat, more than likely with all the new electronic gadgetry in boats today even if wired correctly to by manufactures specifications. You probably have a small very low voltage short circuit draining the battery. Very likely not even noticeable when you are using the boat regularly as the battery gets a recharge when you use the boat every few days, but problematic when you don't use it for long periods of time.

Pretty easy to diagnose, usually its something like a clock or the computer in the engine that stays on all the time if it has one. Best way to stop this is with a master battery switch when you know you won't be using the boat for a long periods of time. However there are some other considerations especially the bilge pump if you have one. That is one item you do not want to let the master battery switch have control of.

I'm sure a lot of other folks can tell you about having similar dead battery problems when the boat has not been used for a while and their creative solutions.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post: