Thread: Pontoon Boat?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 02:03 AM   #11
ApS

Smile "'Wise up, America!' and buy the outboard boat engine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonguy View Post
Thanks for the helpful perspectives. Based on the comments so far, I am leaning toward buying a tritoon with an outboard motor.
While not in the market, I agree with that choice. Unless a repair shop gives out a "loaner-engine", buyers that opt for two outboards are much less likely to lose a minute of the season due to repairs.

Because I haven't seen a pontoon boat on a boatlift, I'd have to ask if pontoons are more secure from oversized-boat wakes while "parked" at the dock?

Hurricane Irma didn't harm a neighbor's pontoon boat until his bow-eye fitting got torn from the hull! A "case" for longer, thinner, dock lines?

An outboard's draft is only 3" less than a stern drive, according to Boating Magazine's superb three-boat comparison article. I left a comment: https://www.boatingmag.com/boat-engine-comparison :

Quote:
"I'm a great fan of "close" comparison tests such as this one. Well done! I would add that lower initial cost reduces the effect of higher fuel consumption. Also, much storage cost is based on length, so the cost of storage needs to be added to the longer jet-drive design, and that Rotax makes great engines. Note that it's Government regulations that keep the Rotax the noisiest (inside the boat). There may be a workaround for the engineer-owner.

The best line? 'The jet is obnoxiously loud, unless you’ve been riding a personal watercraft and don’t know any better.'"