View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #42
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
It amazes me how people who dont live in the Weirs think they they know whats best for the Weirs... I live here and undertand the politics of the Weirs pretty well.

Does the Weirs need a makeover? Yup! It sure does. But who is gonna pay for it? The owners of the propeties in question are obv not interested in revamping ANYTHING!

You cant touch the veterans homes... plain and simple! So that leaves the Pier and a few buildings. The Lob Pound did right and revamped thier property nicely. The Baldi family for whatever reason is resisting the effort to tear down the old SmokeHouse that suffered from spontaneous combustion. So that eyesore isnt going anywhere soon. The families that own the arcades and pier have no interest in spending anything but minimal maintenance on those buildings...

Could the Weirs be awesome? Sure could! That would require property owners with vision and a city with a plan. A Key West style resort zone would be my preference.... revamp and update the water slide... imagine the Lob Pound isnt the only place with a roof deck.... rooftop dining and cocktails over the old arcades... the arcades revamped into Key West style bars and restaurants. the Pier revamped as a new Irwin Gardens/Micheals Harborside vibe... A cool restaurant above Tower hill Tavern overlooking it all...

The Weirs is half finished... Awesome Boardwalk.... trains, newer mini golf and other attractions real close by.

Yup The Weirs could be cool........

Woodsy
True, A great infrastructure is there. Roof top resteraunts above the arcades is a great idea. Seems that the owners of those businesses are far from interested though. Those bumper cars should have been scrapped 20 years ago. The fact that half of them don't work is of no concern to the guy collecting money.

Back to the original topic though, $57K does not sound like much but that is only the cities PROFIT. That does not include all the money collected by the businesses, renters, police overtime, etc. I wish they would attract a more diverse set of vendors though. Fried food and tshirts gets pretty old after 1/2 hour. Not sure how you spend a week looking at it.