View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
No-Mo-Shun

Smile Scenic Drive

Oche 16, My memories of Scenic Dr. date back from 1935 to 1955. It was simply called Rt. 11 in those days, although we knew it was very scenic. When school got out for the summer in New Jersey, we headed to Lake Shore Park and our cabin on Long Beach. After passing the turnoff to Goodhue Marine at Glendale, we approached "Dead Man's Curve". That was a hard right turn onto what was probably the best road for scenery on the lake. Next came Chanticleer, then Greystone. Up the road a way was Fox's house on the right and their boathouse on the lake, which held a classic wooden boat which had a hard top. Well, I suppose it wasn't a classic in those days. Somewhere along the road came our first good view of LSP and our cabin, which was the 4th cabin from the fence at what is now Ellacoya SP. Back in the olden times, it was Minnehaha Beach. There were some rental cabins there. Up closer to Rt. 11 was Morrill's Beach on the near side of the stream toward the highway. One of the most important items that could be seen from Scenic Dr. at LSP was "Big Pier". I had never heard the name "Carr's Point" in my 20 something years of staying at LSP, but that is where "Big Pier" sits.

There is Nothing, Absolutely Nothing, Half So Much Worth Doing as Simply Messing About in Boats
Kenneth Grahame
No-Mo-Shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links