Thread: Thermocline
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 06:58 AM   #17
MikeF-NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Precisely why they should do away with the damned derbies...fish killers.
Guys, I try to let these statements go but I will once again drop my 2 cents. The last two times I talked to derby organizers, they said less than 200 salmon come to the weigh station each year. Yes these fish are killed but legally and morally so.

So lets look at other "fish killer":
Guides (I hold no animosity but...): Each time I see a guide post, his clients keep and kill 100% of legal fish they catch. Figuring 3 clients/trip (6 fish) times 3 trips a week (18 fish) times 3-4 guides working (54-62 fish/week) times 10 working weeks. 540-620 fish killed per year. Again...legally and morally caught...just keeping the fish killers in perspective.

Legal recreational "meat" fishermen: Watch the NH Trolling or Winni fishing facebook boards and you will see that almost ALL of the rec "meat" fishermen are keeping every legal fish they catch. I have no numbers so will drop non-scientific/low ball guesses here: 20 fishermen fish twice a week and keep 2 fish per trip...thats 80 fish at 10 weeks is 800 fish.

So lets compare just these and NOT count the "killers" that are the C&R guys that unintentionally kill or hook wound 5% of their catch...lets go conservative and say 50 fish each week are impacted...500 for the season.

Lets do some completely unscientific math to add perspective:
Guides: 600
Rec Meat Eaters: 800
C&R Unintentional mortality: 500
...again...all of these killers are legal and moral and I do not judge...I am just putting into perspective and we see 1900 fish killed....compared to less than 200 from the derby.

I will also give the organizers their due...they listened to a recommendation to post regular board updates so the guys in the boats know if the 21" fish they just caught is "in the money" which allows these guys to release more borderline fish.

Lets say I'm entirely crazy and DOUBLED estimates for non-derby "killers"...they still kill almost 5X the fish that the derby kills. If you think the derby kills more than 200...do what I did and ask the organizers OR even John Viar at NHF&G so at least you have facts.

I'm sure Dan would concur that the current fishing drought is not because of the derby but is because of the state of the stocking program over the past few years with very small smolt being stocked and almost completely eaten by natural predation. (which reminds me that I didn't mention predation: eagles, loons, lakers, etc...all taking "their share").

If you don't like the derby...everyone is entitled to their opinions but lets not blame the state of the fishery on a one weekend event that kills a fraction of other legal and moral salmon takers. AND while the derby certainly has negative impact...lets not forget that the derby brings 10s of thousands of off season dollars to local businesses in the lakes region, and funds to the Laconia Rotary organizers and Boy Scouts of America and is a family tradition for hundreds of family. When its gone...it will never come back and it is currently (IMO) in a death spiral with prizes and participant numbers dropping each year. It will die a "natural" death...I don't think we need to rush it by suggesting its participants and organizations or cold blooded killers....they are legal and moral consumers of this public resource.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post: