View Single Post
Old 08-12-2004, 09:56 PM   #47
Jan

Default Alton Bay Lobster Rolls

I haven't been to Waldo's yet but we were in Alton Bay today craving a lobster roll. I decided to get one at Pop's and one at Shibley's and report my findings here.

I tried Pop's first. I went to the window and asked the young boy if fresh Maine lobster was used. He barked to an older guy in the back "Where's the lobsta from" and he answered "Canada". I said "really?, thanks anyway". I don't know anything about Canadian lobster but I assume it's that Lagostino (sp?) stuff that they use at the Tamarack, yuck.

Next I walked over to the Shibley's stand and was greeted by a big smile and hello from a young asian girl. I asked her the same question and she proudly said that they only used fresh Maine lobster. We got one and I must say that it was one of the best I've ever had. Nice chunks of meat, not too much mayo and a perfectly toasted fresh roll. It even had the lettuce liner that Pepper explained was to keep the roll dry. The price was also very reasonable at about $7.50 for a roll and $9.50 for the combo meal with fries and slaw. The one problem was the cold slaw. It was soupy and loaded with mayo, yuck.

I still expect Waldo's roll to take the crown but when in Alton Shibley's roll is not bad, not bad at all.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote