View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #52
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
There is no "time of residency" requirement before you can have an opinion on local issues. Citizens that have lived in the lakes area for a few months have just as much say, and the same voting privileges, as those that have been here for 100 years. That's the way it works. It's the American way! It's the law!

I understand you think this is unfair. You don't have to like it. You DO have to live with it.
BI, do you think the SL is confined to only being a "local issue"?

What do you consider about those like me who pay $$ for slips to use the lake using boats bought at a Winni dealer? I then pay additional money to stay at hotels with a slip on the lake ON TOP of having a slip on several weekend per year. In fact, I bet I pay more on fees and hotel bills than some of those who don't live on the water pay in property taxes!

Personally, I think when either side uses residency as part of the SL debate it's nothing more than an attempt to marginalize viewpoints. This goes for both sides of the argument however I have found the pro-SL crowd to fall into the "don't let MA people ruin our Lake" statements much more than the anti-SL crowd.

It should come down to what the SL does (or doesn't do) for the lake.