View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 02:32 PM   #84
BrownstoneNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
I think everybody is still trying to figure this out--before last week, what dope would ever dream of prepaying?

Humble advice--if your town says no, ask again politely a day or two later. Or, just mail them a check with a note and keep your fingers crossed. (Worst case, they mail the check back.)

Thanks, Peter, but the Wolfeboro Tax Collector confirmed that nothing doing for Wolfeboro because the relevant provision in the new tax law wasn't anticipated. It was good advice to check again, though, because many other jurisdictions around the country — state, country, or town, whichever is/are applicable — have scrambled to take the steps necessary to enable property tax prepayment; in some cases, including my primary residence state, officials who were out of town came home for special sessions to do this.

I don't know if there would have been enough time for the State of NH to process a request from Wolfeboro to make the arrangement but, since the Tax Collector didn't mention that any effort had been made or looked into, I got the impression that the Wolfeboro selectmen couldn't even be bothered to try.
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote