View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 09:30 AM   #80
tbonies

WOW! 28 I/me/my's! Exactly the biggest issue in this country today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I grew up in a family of 7 with one car that my parents shared. On the days my mother had the car my father took the bus to work. There was no extra money. My mother even mixed powdered milk in with the regular milk to make it go farther because the grocery budget was a little tight.

How did I get my first job? Not sure how far back to go. Had a morning paper route delivering newspapers before I went to public schools. Worked at the Dairy Queen during high school. First full time job? I walked a mile to the gas station and asked if they needed any help. Fill out paperwork? I guess I learned enough in school to read and write the English language. I saved enough to buy a Buick Special for $250 so I could drive to work.

Who helped me get my license? I paid for Driver Education with my own money and even paid to use their car for the test. When I was 21, I sold my car and used the money to buy a truck tractor, took lessons and got Commercial Drivers License and hauled other people's trailers for mileage pay.

No one taught me I could succeed with hard work. I looked around me and saw what might work and did it. From my 20's though about age 50 I worked 3 jobs, averaging about 80 hours per week.

Who taught me how to keep a checkbook? It isn't rocket science to keep a checkbook but I admit I now use QuickBooks to manage the finances of my commercial and residential investment properties. I guess you would say I have help. I did figure out how QuickBooks works on my own.

In these times of safe spaces and participation trophies many young people have neither the desire nor the will to be very successful. I have friends who are proud that their child is getting a degree in Ancient European History. Uhhh....OK. Good luck with that!
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote