View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 09:03 PM   #77
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Hmm, seems close enough to me, but whatever.

How'd you get to your first job? Who taught you how to apply, interview, and fill out paperwork? Who guided you through school? Were you in a safe enough area to not worry about traveling? Who helped you get your license? Who fed and clothed you well enough to receive the education that allowed you to pursue your dreams? Who taught you that you could succeed with hard work? Who taught you how to work with money, to keep a checkbook and bank accounts, to consider loans and financing.

None of those things is natural, they all require investment from people and institutions. If either are lacking, the potential for success is hindered. Basic behaviorism. Oh, wait, psychology and sociology are the reason we're in this mess.

Note that I'm not saying success is impossible, but the truth is--whether or not you want to accept it--is that one's birth situation--parents/family, location, financial circumstances, education, race, etc.-- directly correlates to one's chances of success. Choice is only a reflection of what has been learned.

I apologize to the OP for continuing to be off-topic.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

What a bunch of psychobabble crap! With all due respect..... thank GOD I didn't go to college or listen to people like you.

I guess I'm a unicorn then right? Believe it or not I managed to do the following having nothing but a high school diploma:

1. Move out on my own at 18 years old with nothing but what I had on my back
2. Learned to live on 75% of my income from day one, put the rest away for a rainy day - NEVER WENT INTO DEBT!!!! Paid cash for everything, if I didn't have cash to buy it I would wait to buy. Only in an emergency would I tap into savings to buy what was absolutely needed.
3. Got married in my mid 20's and shockingly my wife and I built a brand new house in lieu of a fancy wedding (yes a coherent choice we made)
4. Two years after we go married wife quit her job so she could stay home and take care of the kid - from there on out we've lived on a single income

5. Worked my ass off till I could break into the career I have now, that was done by brute force hard work. Nothing was handed to me, I made that happen.
6. Have two properties (one on the lake) and still no debt.
7. Mange my own portfolio and well on my way to retiring early.

What I have NOT done

1. lease a car or buy new cars
2. go on vacations
3. use my property as a cash register
4. pay anyone to do anything for with very few exceptions
5. go out to dinner or out on the town regularly
6. keep up with the jones'

Now how exactly does one accomplish this? Easy, work hard and every decision is all about weighing the pros and cons. It's common sense! If I didn't know I sought out somebody who could advise me. Have I made bad decisions, sure but not many and I'd classify those as taking a known risk that had limited down side should it not pan out which some did not. Am I lucky, I will simply and smugly say no, because every decision was well thought out and no I didn't need to be handheld the entire way to make this happen. But I will say that along my journey there have been plenty who thought what I was doing was crazy.... opinion vary!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote