View Single Post
Old 04-23-2016, 04:22 PM   #2
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
Skunked again....

This past Weds, trolled from Meredith Bay down to Spindle Point and back. Dragonfly was showing fish 10-25'. Had 5-ish colors of lead line out on one rod and the other was up high with just mono line. Mooselook Wobblers on both lines. Trolling speed was 1.5 - 2+ mph. Bupkus....

Thursday, took a different approach and just drifted down Meredith bay with a live smelt on one line, varying depth from 10-20 ish feet. Second line was casting with one of AJ's brightly-colored spoons. Same result as Weds....

Any obvious errors in my approach?
I have not fished in that area for many years so take this for what it is worth.... This is just a general guide from my personal past experience..

1. Water temp is a factor to consider. What is the temp at the depth you have your bait? 50-60 degrees is what lake trout like.

2. Speed is a factor to consider... What is the speed at the depth you have your bait? 1.5MPH'ish is what lake trout like. The speed that you see on your speedometer is the surface speed and is skewed by wind and travel speed so it is not accurate for the conditions of your bait.

3. Lures are a factor to consider...Shiny stuff on shiny days (Silver) and dull stuff on dull (overcast) days (gold) and if you are using spoons/spinners etc... That can slightly change the speed of the bait you are streaming

I use a sub-troll that I send down on a down rigger that lets me know the speed/temp at that depth.

Also, remember that fish like to feed UPWARD, so make sure your bait is at or slightly above their "feeding" temp.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post: