View Single Post
Old 06-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #102
ironhorsetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Interesting that no one ever mentions the loss of business by local businesses due to bike week. ***(Most and I repeat most local businesses also put up with bike week because the out of state vendors are not the only people who make money,the local places make it and in return spend it here after that one week)*** There are many tourists and secondary home owners who refuse to come to the Lakes Region during bike week due to the traffic, noise and overall hassle.***(Unless they bought their place 89 years ago then they knew about before they bought,or should have done some research)*** Try and get a realtor to show properties in Meredith, Laconia or Gilford when bike week is on. Many agents take bike week off since it is nearly impossible to get through all the traffic, especially at the Weirs.***( most local companies take that week as down time because they know or have done research)*** Has anyone talked to Thurstons or Channel to see how their business is during this period?***(those places rent out space to vendors to make up for lost cash,although they might even make more money renting space than they do in sales)***Also, vendors from national companies take their money with them.***(but the locals keep it local or go vacation and spread it around to other area's such as ours.)***

As year rounders, we accept bike week as a major but temporary disruption. It gets frustrating, however, to hear people brag about the economic benefits without understanding the negative economic aspects.
I'm computer stupid so all I could do is put my opinions in (these things:laugh) can't spell either.

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway