View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #30
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
NH law requires that a person be a citizen before being allowed to vote. Been that way for 200+ years, and it's not going to change anytime soon.

I find the elitist arrogance of out of staters absolutely astounding. They knew before they bought property that they would be subject to NH law. Now they not only want to vote in their own state but here as well. Tall about having your cake and eating it too! To think that they believe that they have the right to vote(yes, voting is a right!) in a town and state that they don't live in is astounding indeed. Their indifference for our state's constitution is remarkable and unjustifiable.

Using their logic, if I worked in Mass. and lived in NH, should I have the right to vote in Mass? I would say yes, absolutely.

Simply ludicrous
So, just how do you define the word "Live" ? This is how the Merrium Webster dictionary defines it.

Main Entry: 1live
Pronunciation: \ˈliv\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): lived; liv·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English libban; akin to Old High German lebēn to live
Date: before 12th century
intransitive verb
1 : to be alive : have the life of an animal or plant
2 : to continue alive
3 : to maintain oneself : subsist
4 a : to occupy a home : dwell b : to be located or stored
5 : to attain eternal life
6 : to conduct or pass one's life
7 : to remain in human memory or record
8 : to have a life rich in experience
9 : cohabit
transitive verb
1 : to pass through or spend the duration of
2 : act out, practice —often used with out
3 : to exhibit vigor, gusto, or enthusiasm in
4 a : to experience firsthand b : to be thoroughly absorbed by or involved with

— live it up : to live with gusto and usually fast and loose

— live up to : to act or be in accordance with

— live with : to put up with : accept, tolerate

They may not spend 365 days a year here but it sure sounds to me like these people "Live" here, and if anything is ludicrous, it's your comparison.
These "out of staters" aren't living in CT. PA. NY. FL etc. and working in New Hampshire. They Own property here !
If you "Owned" property in MA, then Yes, you should have the right, to have a say in how your tax dollars are spent there.