Thread: Condo Fees
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2020, 08:38 AM   #21
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
But what are you getting for that 4500$ per year? Don't get depressed, unless what you get doesn't equal what you pay...

For instance Lands end, at $1050 per month.... that is 12K per year..... I don't think they could offer enough amenities to get me to pay that!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 per year, or 375 per month... If it got me access to the lake, especially in the form of a nice beach... and they kept the grounds nice, and took care of the building maintenance.... I don't think I would mind at all....

Think about this... My seasonal cottage on the lake has a tax bill of ~5K (note seasonal cottage).... on top of that, I have to pay for trash (or haul it home)... perform maintenance myself, pay for insurance, etc.... all in all the camp costs my family ~7.5K per year. (This includes electric, ins., septic pumping, access road fees)..... Now we are facing the need to paint the camp, which will run that bill up... and in 10 years or so we will need to put on a new roof....the list goes on.... over the 25 years we have owned the camp, my guess is we spend on average 8-9K per year...... But considering a trip to Disney for a family of 4 for one week is going to run you 5-6K.... I consider it worth the money for a summers worth of enjoyment.

Disclaimer If I factor in boat costs, we are looking at even more money... But I would have the boat regardless... so it doesn't matter.... Once a boater always a boater.....
That may be true as a homeowner there are carrying costs to consider however YOU have total and complete control over who, what and when things are done.

Associations are notorious for being poorly run and not being terribly cost efficient.

There is no way in hell Lands End is worth 12K a year in association fees. It ain't that pretty. Awful lot of suckers in there stroking checks for that every year.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote