View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 05:55 AM   #168
ApS

Wink And Now, a Return to nøRmL-C...

Dan,

You may have been using hyperbole, but sorry about the migraine headache anyway.

With time, you will outgrow migraine headaches; however, if "aura" accompanies your migraine, "aura" will stay with you the rest of your natural life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83 View Post
Looks like the magnum size to me. See below. No complaints yet is not much of a justification. Perhaps you have been lucky. Some might not be tolerant of such acts.
I couldn't locate that photo earlier, so thank you for finding that message. If you saw the ApS message that followed, two NHMP officers thought a PED was a good answer to the problem!

In order to speak with them, I'd used a PED to summon them over!

The current PEDs I use are much smaller, and consist of only a fraction of one CD. One was shown briefly at ForumFest-2010.

The "Magnum" was too fragile from day one. It was very effective at horsefly-swatting, but it promptly became only a "one-use item" for me.

I've given away a few "Mk. IIs" to kayakers, who never knew that some powerboaters, "couldn't see them on the lake".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I cannot believe that the country's largest internet forum allows you to snip and edit posts, creating vertigo like effects. Are you also on a 5 post per day limit there?
"If you cannot believe it, you will fail."
—Yoda
(I read that somewhere).

There, the number of posts at any time are unlimited for all. The site is "hugh" in size.

For now, I'll leave off the quotes which you assert "creates vertigo"; still, expect to see their standard abbreviations here—FWIW, IIRC, IOW, and OP.

Quote:
Maybe we should paint lines on the lake and increase the SL to 65MPH - just like "driving on the road"?
That's an extreme view I would hardly subscribe to. You write as though you have experienced ABS' "panic braking". I suggest looking as far ahead as possible, for all drivers.

Looking as "far ahead as possible" is valuable advice for any kind of transportation—but useless if you "text" while driving your car, and not so helpful if you're operating GPS or have a cellphone in hand.

But looking far ahead is a frequent failure of Winnipesaukee "drivers". Although 97% of us captains are "above-average", you can bump that to one-hundred percent, if your boat has "graphics", and all your compatriots agree with you on everything.

Quote:
At 45MPH, that one mile distance would certainly be well over one minute. If you were travelling in the exact opposite direction at 15MPH, then it would be exactly one minute.

Before you snip / , * cut, # and butcher \ / some of | what I've posted • to spin « it to your ¢ liking ® please take ¶ a ¬ minute² (literally) and watch the full 60 seconds gø by.™
Like many others before you, you've tried to put words in my mouth: the usual suspects commit civil-disobedience every weekend—ignoring the daytime speed limit by doubling it—if they are able.

One admitted here (yesterday) that a USCG certificate was enough in credentials to display their own personal civil-disobedience obligations to their many admirers.

Quote:
After you're done, think about a few things. First, if you were piloting your Thrill seeking vessel on the lake, would one minute and thirty-three seconds be enough time for you to turn your wheel?
The four fatal Winnipesaukee collisions that made headlines had many miles (and minutes) in which to "turn their wheels". I wish "turning a wheel" could make it that simple, but I can't account for the anarchy that was out there—and which still remains in pockets.

My thrill-machine is a sailboat, and don't have "a wheel" to turn. It only takes seconds to turn my boat within its own length; however, that is an insufficient reaction to save my passengers, crew, and me.

Safety is the first of the ABCs of being a boat captain.

You can't be a responsible captain for passengers and crew, if you depend on the "30-somethings 'high self-esteem'" and the "group-congratulatory behavior" that inevitably leads to lawbreaking.

SBONH' newest switchable-exhaust initiative adds nothing for a boat captain who is serious about safety.

Quote:
Lastly, how many times have the 'usual suspects' or any boater on the lake been involved in an accident that the SL would have prevented? Quote this: NONE
SIKSUKR will tell you the true story of a "cigar boat" that flew off the lake at night. Three died instantly when they entered a Gilford cottage up-side down.

I recall that beheadings were reported among the three victims; however, that was a reply by another poster, so I can't quote that addendum for you with my usual assurance of accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post
Picture from foul weather day too, likely from another location.
The attachment below shows the results of a gargantuan wake I did not witness: you'll have to believe me that it is the same dock and the same location.

Quote:
APS - Again, this is borderline unreadable. Kind Regards.
But I can read you just fine.

Yr Hmbl Svnt,

ApS
Attached Images