View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #84
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So as this debate continues to go on. I decide to take a look at a few things first was the OSHA standards.... now in case anyone is wondering the 88db limit is probably derived from this... according to OSHA standards no hearing protection is needed for workers exposed to less then 90 db per 8 hour day.... In short a boat could sit a idle and you sit right next to it all day long and there should be no problems... Now if you chose to sit next to it that is your problem.

The higher the DB level the shorter the exposure time is the chart I looked at broke it all the way down to 15 mins at 115db....

Now why do things get mentioned on the A-scale... A is simple the musical tone that a sound meter is looking at. A sound meter listening to noises in the A spectrum has an equivalent overall noise db level.

So that covers the idling test....

Now as for the flyby test.... I haven't gotten to the bottom of that one yet...but once again I am sure it is routed in some fact that over the course of 50' sound should drop by X db.... and as long as a boat is with in the spec. there should never be a case where a boat is at full song and less then 50 feet away.... If I find the information on sound fall off I will pass it on...

Oh and just incase people want to read the OSHA std:

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...ards&p_id=9735

Now as for my second point, which I am sure is where the fly by spec came from was to look at what the db level of some ordinary things are...such as a normal conversation 60db... a refrigerator running 40 db, vacuum cleaner 70 db, and Heavy traffic 85 db.....

just google db levels and you be amazed what you find.

In short as long as a boat is legal.... If you find the sound to much then I hope you don't run your vacuum, or allow an normal conversation to take place while you at the lake.