View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #81
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
According to NH BoatEd it is 88dB for engines manufactured after Jan 1991, 90dB for engines manufactured prior to this date. This is for stationary testing. The moving test ("A" scale, whatever that means) at 50 feet drops it to 82dB

http://boat-ed.com/nh/handbook/engequip.htm

I had it in my head that it was 86dB for some reason, glad I looked it up especially since my twin 4 stroke Honda outboards make so much noise...

Having been a past Baja owner with switchable exhaust, I find it crazy that it is outlawed, especially if when set on thru-hull it is already at a legal limit without having to divert down through the prop, which mine was.
Most places that have noise limits use the standard 92 dBA level.. I found the 82 and 88 levels quite interesting. A quick check on Boattest.com revealed that an 18' Bayliner bowrider with a smaller outboard produced levels of 75 dBA to 98 dBA. I can understand the at idle limit of 88, which is pretty high actually. I agree that having a switchable exhaust makes for a much better experience for the majority of people in tight channels and smaller coves.

I remember hearing very loud boats, many of which were slow, decades ago on Winni.