Thread: boat accident
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #18
ApS

Question Slippery Wheel? Slippery Seat? Poorly-Trimmed Outboard?

Again, those hours reported by the LaDaSun are not "after dark". Each ended-up on opposite shores—the shorelines about ¼-mile apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
Woodsy/Winni83--I just reread all the posts, half expecting to need to apologize. But I do not think any of them are critical of the captain. Understanding mishaps is an important way to learn, and questioning is part of that. It's pretty standard marine practice.
Yup. Two US Navy Destroyer Captains learned of their new desk jobs recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
B W's have a long lifespan. Could this have been an older boat that did not have the kill switch lanyard?
The Whaler I referred to earlier, had a Johnson 25-HP (?) outboard that had been affixed for several years. The boat recently got a replacement outboard of unknown lineage.

It occurred to me that particular Thomas Point shoreline has two extremely-long seawalls.

(Where the sailboat sank—last month). Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
One incident with no details and you are going to trash the Whaler history for safe boats?
A few years ago, I'd hailed the skipper of that 13' Boston Whaler that'd been making Winter Harbor "runs". The towhead-skipper appeared to be 10-11 years old, but seemed to accept my advice. That advice?

I suggested he adjust the trim, so his Johnson outboard wouldn't be trimmed so extremely high. Nothing changed. Nothing changed again when a new outboard got fitted recently.

Extreme trim such as in his outboard will cause extreme responses in handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
Any boat can be a problem when handled poorly
Agreed—think it was that "slippery steering wheel"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patiently Watching View Post
I know the adult boat driver - he is a lifetime resident of Winter Harbor and very responsible. Not sure of the circumstances of the accident, however APS is dead wrong with regard to this boat making 'runs' and I would still say that Boston Whaler is a good safe boat. Due to foggy conditions I understand the driver was unable to locate the boy in the water...
"Responsible" would be to have PFDs on during inclement weather.

That said, I can't recall any operator of a 13' Boston Whaler inside Winter Harbor whose age would be over 21. It's a 13' Whaler that's hard to miss, as it makes repeated "runs" nearly every day.

>