View Single Post
Old 03-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #46
mishman

Default what's really behind the drive for a rec center?

I have read as much as I can about the proposed rec/community center and several things stand out (in no particular order)

1. It seems there is genuine interest by at least a small group (including some elected officials) to build this to attract young people to the community however there is no guarantee that one will follow the other. If you attract a business to town, the new employees will bring their families. Jobs come first, not the frosting of a community center.

2. Part of the fiscal rationale for committing the dollars for a $6 million community center is the oft-cited mention that a bond for a school building will be retired in a few years and that the debt of the community center could take the place of the expiring bond. It begs the question though, if the bond is expiring soon, won't that provide tax relief to the town?

3. There have been several votes about this issue and so far, a majority are not in favor of incurring a $6 million debt plus operating expenses to build a new community center. The latest vote was clearly opposed by a large margin. It is doubtful that no more than a few minds could have been changed with a longer debate of the merits.

4. Now there is talk about bringing this issue back again for another vote. At what point do the supporters of this measure read the writing on the wall. The town's taxpayers don't want an expensive community center. Some of us would prefer lower taxes and a pay to play approach to recreation.

5. All that said, Moultonborough is a nice town with friendly people and a lot going for it already. It seems what we need is more financial restraint on the part of our elected leaders. I would like to see the local roads repaired and the school budget downsized to reflect the much smaller student population.

6. One last thought, I am all for SB 2. As a resident and taxpayer who sometimes is away at town meeting time, I deserve the right to vote on these important issues.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mishman For This Useful Post: