View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 07:15 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I've had a few friends of mine that have been talked into installing the new suitcase style boilers that hang on the wall. They are very efficient but they have a higher rate of problems and it seems these companies installing them don't have the proper equipment or training to diagnose problems. When they work they work great.
I built a new home about 13 years ago and installed a regular gas boiler and have had no issues. I built another in the lakes region with a 90% efficient hot air furness that I owned for 10 years without ever having an issue.
My friends installed their newer style wall hung boilers within the past 8 years the they all have had multiple issues with them. One of them had to be replaced under warrantee after 4 years because they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Just sayin, buyer beware!
Can't agree with you more. I installed one of those suitcase boiler 3 years ago. I had a factory recommended installer do the work. The installer told me the problem with the installs are the external components needed, not the boiler itself! Such as the valve and zone controllers, the HVAC circulators etc. They are not made of the same quality as the boilers/furnace themselves. The installer recommended a specific brand and so far I have been happy. Some of my neighbors who had efficiency HVAC installed with cheap components are not happy. Normally parts only come with a year warrantee. My guy gave me a 5 year warrantee on parts and labor!
I had an emergency last winter. Unfortunately the installer was not available so I called Rowell. They came to look at it and they don't know what the heck is wrong with it! They recommend a new furnace and sock me $350!
I called Rinnai and they were extremely helpful! They told me to pull the plug on the burner (electrical plug), not the switch, big difference! The furnace went through a self check and determined the unit need deairreation. pardon the spelling, did this automatically and in 15 minutes I was back in business! Can't say enough about Rinnai. Rowell had the nerves to claim they fix all makes!
Highly recommend the new high efficiency furnace/boilers if installed and maintained correctly. Call the factory for their recommendations not rely on an HVAC/plumber's words.