Thread: Anadama Bread
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #11
Chickie

Default Anadama Memories

Thank you for your responses. I have made bread in my younger days but never became an expert bread maker. I found three different recipes in my mother's cookbook for Anadama Bread. It is not a lack of recipes or knowledge preventing me from creating a loaf, but a medical issue which makes it difficult for me to stand for long periods of time preparing it. I don't have a bread machine. The only other option is to find a bakery or store that sells it.

I had to chuckle reading Mom's recipes. One was clipped from a newspaper, another from a brand-name flour company bag and one is in her own handwriting. She had written notations at the bottoms of two of them - the flour company's recipe "No Good", the newspaper one has no comment and the one in her own handwriting reads "Very Good." Apparently it was tried, tested and received her seal of approval. No bread machine - all done by the sweat of her brow. I note that none of her recipes have wheat flour as an ingredient - all are made with white flour only (and cornmeal, of course.) Recipes I found on line have both wheat and white flour (probably revised in recent years.) Although I have made various kinds of bread, I don't recall making Anadama myself. I certainly ate my share, though - warm from the oven, slathered with butter. Wonderful! Wonderful!
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote