View Single Post
Old 07-30-2021, 11:38 AM   #68
LikeLakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Discussion about banning paddle boards around docks aside, clearly there risks for everyone in and around docks, but its quite different for 2 25' boats to bump into each other than a 25' boat bumping into a paddle boarder. That just just frightening to me. Hope I never see it let along be involved in such,,,
How about an 8' RIB with a 2 HP outboard, or a 10' jon boat with only a trolling motor for propulsion. Should those be allowed around public docks that larger boats use?

Just asking in terms of trying to understand where the limit is that people feel adds risk. My paddle board is 12'6", and I'm over 6' tall. I have a tandem kayak that is 16' long. A 10' jon boat is smaller than either, and similar profile to the kayak. And with a trolling motor is quite a bit less responsive than either of the paddle powered craft.

Listen, I get it that mixed use can add risk. Going across NY Harbor in an 18' runabout with 600 ft. freighters in both directions has potential for bad things to happen. I just have a hard time, after a lifetime of "power boats yield to non-powered boats", accepting the idea that kayaks have to stay away because boats with 600 HP can't maneuver around them without risking their lives.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LikeLakes For This Useful Post: