View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 05:13 PM   #84
MeredithMan

Default To be fair...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
At a minimum I am surprised with the negativity and the tales of how bad Florida is.

I am in the next town north of Bonita Springs, Estero, and after 14 years I have not experienced the negatives that people have mentioned. Fleas? Haven't seen any. Smelly water? My tap water is great and it makes excellent ice cubes for cocktails!

Strip malls? Yes, there are areas with a concentration of commercial activity and most anything I need can be found within 10 miles of the house. At the Gilford house, the lake makes up for the fact that there is limited shopping for some items and a drive to Concord or Manchester may be necessary when I need something.

When I have company in Florida I take them to waterfront restaurants in Sanibel, Marco Island, and Fort Myers Beach. Many great places to go all within 20 to 40 minutes of the house. There are numerous beaches that are not too crowded, especially when you go by boat.

That is just what I have found in the winters I have spent in Florida, and any negatives are minimal.

I will stop writing now. It is 7:30, still light out, and the solar has the pool water temperature at 88 degrees. Time for a swim!
I know there are many many folks that love FL in the winter. My in-laws loved going there for more than 20 years. They were both avid golfers and they really enjoyed being in a golf community. They had many friends in their condo development and my father-in-law used to say, "every night is like New Year's Eve!" Like a lot of folks, they rented for a few years and then ultimately bought a place. I think the biggest take-away/learning experience from watching their situation over the years, is that when you get a retirement place, make sure it meets your needs not only now, but 20 years from now. My in-laws' condo was a 2nd floor unit, with two big stairways, (10 steps up, a landing, 10 more steps up). There was no elevator. This was not an issue when they were in their early 60's, but by the time they were in their 80's, it was a major problem.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote