View Single Post
Old 04-23-2016, 07:20 AM   #111
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I am not sure how you could claim it "sets the wrong tone for the rest of the season". Most Bike Week visitors are not the boaters and vacationing families that dominate the rest of the tourist season and it has no affect on them at all.

Without Bike Week, and the revenue it generates, many business owners would not have the revenue to "spruce up" at all. The amount of income for the businesses and the entire state is a tremendous boost for the state and local economy. Most Laconia area business owners are not making a killing, and many are just barely making a living. I think you would be surprised to find out how many area restaurants have to use their credit lines every winter to survive with the hope that the tourist season will generate enough revenue to pay it off. Taking one more opportunity to make money away from area businesses would be a very poor move.

Yes, there are large areas of the Weirs that could be improved or developed but once again it comes back to the substantial investment needed with the hope that the 10 week season will make it a financial success. I don't see many people willing to take that risk.

As others have said, the over policing and many other factors have led to the decline in Bike Week attendance in the greater Laconia area.
Tilton there has to be a better way. Just look at the other towns around the lake. While the businesses in these towns derive some incremental benefit from bike week they certainly aren't beholden to the event. Laconia and the Weirs specifically is positioned as the least desirable town on the lake. Yet the Weirs has arguably the most open waterfront and potential. In these times of booming real estate values I find it inconceivable that this area can't be better positioned for success. Bike week in my opinion is one of the factors that keeps the area teathered to failure.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote