View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #55
chmeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
NR, Do you really think that the 7 people on this thread who think that there should be no limit on such a dangerous activity are going to swing an election? I hope the Republicans regain power too, but do you really think safety is a party-line issue? I don't think of the Democrats as the "Safety" party and as Republicans and the "No Rules" party, do you? I don't think that with over 60% of NH Republican voters favoring the Speed Limit, Republican candidates are going to be running on a "No Limits" campaign pledge.
7 people, really? The polls taken here would disagree with you.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8420

I was reminded of your endless talk about safety and "fear" when I read this article:

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/441...hopping-areas/

Quote:
FOLLOWING A STUDY by insurer AAMI that showed 77 percent of passenger car drivers consider four-wheel-drives a danger on the road, a new Queensland petition wants them banned from school zones and shopping areas.

Tabled by the opposition Liberal National Party (LNP) in Queensland’s state parliament this week, the petition - with 19,728 signatures - also called for higher registration fees for non-commercial roadgoing four-wheel-drives.

The petition focuses on what the LNP describes as the negative environmental impacts of four-wheel-drives, claiming that the large vehicles use almost twice as much fuel as regular passenger vehicles.

“A four-wheel-drive vehicle uses almost double the amount of fuel, emits 17 times the amount of air pollution and three times the greenhouse gases of a two-wheel drive vehicle,” the petition claims.
The petition says that in addition to their negative environmental and human health, four-wheel-drives represent a physical danger to pedestrians and smaller vehicles in a collision.

However a spokesperson for BMW Australia responded to the petition’s claims, saying the BMW X5 xDrive30D - which accounts for 80 percent of X5 sales - uses just 8.7 litres of fuel per 100km - less than both the Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon.
What does this have to do with our speed limit? Well very little of course, except that the group pushing for the law has little in the way of statistics backing up their argument, appears to be manufacturing some statistics (17 times a much pollution?), and is talking about fear since they don't have the safety statistics to push it forward.