View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #17
MOXIE

Default wolf spiders

I can't believe this thread has been up for 5 days and nobody has correctly identified these spiders. They are wolf spiders. They will bite and you will get sick. I see them in the boat and around the dock.
3yrs ago, I came in from work on a hot day. As I often do I changed into my swim shorts, slipped on my old sneakers (no lacings so I am easy in-out) and walked down to the dock. I kicked of the sneakers and dove in the water, swam out to the float and back, and got back on the dock. When I put my right foot in the sneaker it felt weird and I quickly kicked it off and picked it up. Inside was a wounded (by my foot) wolf spider, and it had bit me. I dumped him (or her) in the water, put on my sneaker and went back to the house. Later it started to itch. The next morning it was all red and swollen. I called the VA and was told to come right in.
Now it's 18hrs later and my temp is over 100degrees. 7days of anti-biotics and all is good. Needless to say I check my sneakers now.
They are NOT harmless, they are not deadly but they will make you sick, and if you have other health issues it could get complicated.
I hope others can benefit from my experience.
Peace My Friends, MOXIE
MOXIE is offline   Reply With Quote