View Single Post
Old 03-06-2005, 11:01 PM   #22
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Upthesaukee's origin

I started coming "upthesaukee" as a toddler, lo those many years ago right at Lake Shore Park. My mom's aunt and uncle (Millie & Jim Foster) had a place at LSP called the "Wee Hoose", scottish dialect for small house, of course. It started out as a wooden platform with a tent, as stated in the article, and evolved into the cottage. Used to sleep on the porch, and Uncle Jim would wake up in the morning, open a cooler in the floor, grab a bottle of whiskey (scotch of course), take a belt out of it, reach over and wake my dad, and give him the bottle. talk about an eyeopener. And it was indeed every day. they had dances at the pavillion for the kids, and then the kids would be taken back to the cottage and put to bed. The adults would then take over dancing, and adults would routinely walk the campground checking the kids to make sure they were ok. (try doing that today) Couldn't spell winnipesaukee, so I would ask if we were going up to Uncle Jim & Aunt Millie's by asking if "we were going up the 'Saukee". And now I are here. Great old memories were just stirred up. Obviously, some of those lobes up there are still working!!!