View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #110
ApS

Post The "Liquid Courage" in 80% of Boaters Here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
"...You're not confused APS. You've made it abundantly clear that speed is always the issue..."
Not so! My previous post was about drunks in 4½-TON boats. (The ones that actually do make the headlines that legislators read).

Quote:
"...Do GFBL crashes and incidents take place? Of course they do..."
Probably more often than you'd think: Littlefield drove off because he was likely drunk. The Coast Guard asserts that as many as 40% of crashes go unreported. Isn't a drunk less likely to report his crash? (The non-fatal ones, anyway).

Quote:
"...But some happen here, no doubt. Crashing into an island is more than likely not caused by high-speed, but sometimes, maybe it is..."
Lake Winnipesaukee has many more islands than most lakes. The latest collision fatality was due to alcohol and the impairment of judgement that inevitably comes from the first taste of it. BTW: I think the crash was less than 30-MPH, though first I'd like to learn what it takes to detach an anchor from its mount—to launch it—and hit a house 25-feet away. (With chain attached).

Quote:
"...Would you be disappointed when a boat crashes into an island at 25 mph, and it's a pontoon boat? Perhaps disappointed isn't the proper word. DISINTERESTED more accurate..."?
Less disinterested if it was a hi-speed pontoon boat: Do you know the world's speed-record for a pontoon boat?

Quote:
"...Let's say Littlefield was going 40 mph, even 50 mph. My guess is everyone in the Hartman boat would have been dead or partially crushed, but there would be prop marks somewhere..."
Maybe there were prop marks. Maybe going slower would have resulted in eliminating the only witnesses!

That's why I repeatedly use the phrase "re-enactment" to determine exactly what happened that night. Is Littlefield's Baja still available? Or has it been "recommissioned" to a new owner?

Quote:
"...Let's say the Formula Cruiser last year (not a go fast by any means), was doing 35 mph or more. Would the island have been easier to overcome? Do you guys shake your fists in anger, shouting foul, when the speed comes in at or under your favorite SL...?"
If the collision were to have taken place just 50' to either side of the crash site, a house wouldn't be involved, nobody would have been killed—injuries and trauma to all involved—minimized. I think a "miss" against a shallower shoreline would have resulted in a "no report" to the NHMP.

The chief proponent of Lake Winnipesaukee's unlimited speeds agenda had overdriven her visibility due to the "liquid courage" that is brought to Winnipesaukee by 80% of boaters visiting here.

('Strange that those who should know their boats best—and know Winnipesaukee best—should create the biggest tragic headlines).

Quote:
"...I think the difference between you and me, and the countless others that don't have such a fever about a class of boats. We tend to zero in on the trouble makers first, then the inexperienced boaters that, innocently enough, cause problems for others, even themselves..."
FWIW, I leave that to the NHMP.

Quote:
"...I shake my head everytime I hear of a Stepped go-fast that has flipped, or ejected their occupants..."
It's not just the "stepped" GFBLs that take lives, and most that do, eject all their occupants. We don't know how many were drunk.

(Because we skippers are ultimately responsible for them, let's call the occupants, "the passengers").

Quote:
"...I shake my head when people drown needlessly in small fishing boats in the early spring fishing season..."
Some are drunk. Some don't let the weather affect their weekend. Some small craft are made dangerous by those "blameless" wakes. Sometimes, it's all three.

Quote:
"...I shake my head when a sailboat, under power, cuts across my bow in the channel, arrogantly pronouncing his own right of way..."
It's been the case for as long as there have been powerboats. Should US law be changed because you don't like "arrogant sailboats" on Lake Champlain?

Quote:
"...Yes APS, we would all appreciate it if serious boater training would occur, in all craft. Yes, I know, go fasts, especially stepped-hull designs, require more training, as do cats. But interestingly enough, the only people that want to do something about it are almost all opponents of the SL. Why is that APS...?"
Because it's the 20% non-drinking family boaters (as in my family—when boating) who are too-often the victims?

Quote:
"...Why are the gang of five of the most vocal proponents so adverse to engaging in any discussion? Heaven forbid the SL opponents engage in discussion with the MP, assisting them, searching for answers, or even helping them out to spot problem boaters..."
My guess is that we "Supporters" don't attempt to "smooze" the NHMP. We expect they will act appropriately with the laws they are charged with enforcing.

Quote:
"...Some of your diatribes from years past reveal that the SL law amounts to only 15% or so of your disdain for many on the lake. Yet you do nothing to point out infractions, unless is your least favorite group. You, and some of the even nastier SL proponents, have been visibly absent from any and all safety discussions..."
I brought a brand-new PFD "message" to the forum early this morning.

Quote:
"...Your cynicism and rants dissuade many SL supporters from engaging many of us in the discussion. When facts are brought up, you show pictures from old incidents, without revealing anything that could possibly harm your precious agenda..."
It's not just cynicism born of three generations' long-association with Lake Winnipesaukee. Those "old pictures" bring to mind what Santayana said best, "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

Quote:
"...You guys are a one-trick pony, and deserve the lake you get..."
We'll see: Minus "the usual suspects"—it's a lake I can "live" with.

Quote:
"...In short, the pro SL people that boat more frequently than others, have far more experience than the boneheads, have offered absolutely nothing in the way of promoting safety, encouraging discussion that could possibly help to educate more boaters..."
1) When I perceived the problem, I wrote a letter that proved to be prescient by just three days.

2) This morning I posted (here) the Coast Guard warnings I just found on our newest PFD acquisition. I hope that promotes a clearer understanding of the speeding issues on all protected inland waters.

3) Seeing where this thread is otherwise headed...I'll take this opportunity to post my "signature piece" from last year's discussion: